RYA courses can help you achieve this, with the Powerboat Level 2 and Day Skipper certificates (or above) providing evidence of your competence to qualify you for the ICC.


For experienced skippers we also offer a direct ICC assessment, rather than a full course. This consists of a full day refresher course and assessment. You can find the syllabus either by clicking on the link below the ICC handbook image and purchasing the ICC handbook from the RYA shop or by clicking on the ICC button and downloading the ICC application form.



In addition to the ICC, you should also be aware of the local requirements for skippers, boats and licences wherever you go and, if possible, take with you translations of the certificates that you hold.

Passing the ICC CEVNI test is required if you need an ICC valid for inland waters. This can often be a harbour in the entrance to a river, Caen / Ouistreham for example where they are asking for a CEVNI certificate before allowing yachts access to the marina!


Code Européen des Voies de Navigation Intérieure (CEVNI) is the code governing navigation on the interconnected European inland waterways.


Signs, rules and procedures for navigating many of the European inland waterways are all included within the CEVNI and in the same way as pleasure craft on coastal waters are expected to abide by the COLREGS, pleasure craft on many of the inland waterways of Europe, which in places are heavily utilised by commercial traffic, are expected to know the CEVNI as this is the basis of many of the various countries' own regulations. 


There is however no separate CEVNI certificate or CEVNI endorsement. Passing the ICC CEVNI test simply allows the Inland category on your ICC to be validated, thereby indicating that you have demonstrated knowledge of the traffic regulations applicable on inland water.